|授業題目||English Listening Skills|
|授業の概要||In order to have a successful conversation in a foreign language, not only do you need to be able to express your thoughts in that language but you also need to understand what the other person says to you. If your listening ability is not good, it will be difficult to have a successful conversation. That is common sense. To provide you the opportunities to improve your listening skills, the activities for this class will be as follows:
(1) Weekly listening activity. I will bring in a variety of different materials on DVD & CD. You will be able to hear the different accents of North American, British, Australian as well as non-native English speakers.
(2) Weekly mini tests. It is very important for all of you to continue to learn new vocabulary and expressions as well as to review grammar. The mini test will also act as listening practice since I will ask a question by describing the situation in which you might use a particular expression. In order to answer my question, you will have to listen carefully to my description.
(3) Weekly pop song. I will distribute the lyrics of a song, which you will listen to and write in the missing words. I hope you will enjoy this.
|学習の到達目標||Improvement of Your Listening Ability|
|授業計画||第１回||Week 1: Song + Explain about class + Meeting and greeting|
|第２回||Week 2: Song + Explain about mini test + Game|
|第３回||Week 3: Song + Mini test + Listening: Someone describes his job|
|第４回||Week 4: Song + Mini test + Listening: Conversation on a Plane|
|第５回||Week 5: Song + Mini test + Listening: Taking a telephone message|
|第６回||Week 6: Song + Mini test + Listening: Conversations at a Party|
|第７回||Week 7: Song + TOEFL listening (short conversations)|
|第８回||Week 8: Song + Mini test + Listening to Instructions|
|第９回||Week 9: Song + Mini test + Listening: Short Stories|
|第１０回||Week 10: Song + Mini test + Listening Game|
|第１１回||Week 11: Song + Mini test + Listening: Conversation in a Hotel|
|第１２回||Week 12: Song + Mini test + Listening: Doing Simple Maths in English|
|第１３回||Week 13: Song + Mini test + Listening: English Jokes|
|第１４回||Week 14: Song + Mini test + Listening: Conversation in a shop|
|第１５回||Week 15: Song + Short Written test + Game|
|授業外学習の課題||(1) Review of the week's classwork for the following week's mini test.
(2) Review for the final written test.
(3) Because class time is limited to only 90 minutes per week for just 15 weeks, I recommend all students to listen to (and, if possible speak) as much English outside class as you can.
|履修上の注意事項||If you actively participate in the class activities and try to answer my questions, you will be able to (a) practice and thereby learn more English (b) find out your weak points when I correct your English (c) get a better grade. Also please bring a dictionary to class every week. If YOU, ACTIVELY look up words, which you don’t know, that is the first step to learn those new words.
【This subject is also designed for the 2014～ Global Course students. ※ただし、一部の学部・学科では配当されていない場合があります。】
|成績評価の方法・基準||(a) Short Written Test + Mini Tests (80%)
(b) Level of Participation in Class Activities (20%)
|テキスト||None. Photocopied materials will be distributed.|
|I am always very happy to try to answer any questions or give advice about this class, English study, studying abroad or anything else which you may wish to ask. If there is not enough time for you to ask questions at the end of each class, I will usually be in my office in Building 3, Room Number 327（第3号館3階327研究室へどうぞ）on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday lunchtimes and from 4:30 to 7:00 p.m.|