|授業題目||English Listening Studies|
|授業の概要||This course focuses on increasing student proficiency in English listening. Listening tasks will be complemented with speaking- and vocabulary-centered activities as well. Please be ready to speak in this class.
The activities for this class include:
(1) Weekly listening activities from both the textbook and teacher- or student-sourced materials. We will cover every unit in the textbook. Feel free to listen ahead if you like. Supplemental listening materials will emphasize listening to a diverse variety of Englishes from countries outside of North America, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.
(2) Weekly homework. Depending on the unit, homework may come from the textbook or be based upon supplemental materials.
(3) Weekly review quizzes. The quizzes will be simple review of the material from the week before. Content will always include listening and vocabulary.
(4) Strategies for listening, speaking, and fluency development. Listening and speaking are natural partners in language learning. I will introduces a few strategies that aim to assist students in becoming better listeners, speakers, and learners of English.
|学習の到達目標||(1) Improve listening proficiency in English.
(2) Become more aware of and comfortable with listening to varieties of English outside of the North American, UK, Australian, and New Zealand circle.
(3) Develop awareness of a few listening, speaking, and fluency development strategies.
(4) Develop awareness of the pronunciation issues that make it more difficult for listeners to understand the English spoken by many Japanese speakers of English.
|授業計画||第１回||Week 1: Review of Syllabus, Course Expectations, and Introductions|
|第２回||Week 2: Unit 1 (Introducing Ourselves and Others)|
|第３回||Week 3: Unit 2 (Daily Routines) + Quiz|
|第４回||Week 4: Unit 3 (Social Life) + Quiz|
|第５回||Week 5: Unit 4 (Where I Live) + Quiz|
|第６回||Week 6: Unit 5 (Getting Somewhere) + Quiz|
|第７回||Week 7: Unit 6 (At a Store) + Quiz|
|第８回||Week 8: Midterm Examination|
|第９回||Week 9: Unit 7 (On the Phone) + Mid-Semester Grade Reports|
|第１０回||Week 10: Unit 8 (Describing People) + Quiz|
|第１１回||Week 11: Unit 9 (Making Plans) + Quiz|
|第１２回||Week 12: Unit 10 (Telling a Story) + Quiz|
|第１３回||Week 13: Unit 11 (Listening for Details) + Quiz|
|第１４回||Week 14: Unit 12 (Hopes & Dreams) + Quiz|
|第１５回||Week 15: Final Examination + Farewell|
|授業外学習の課題||(1) There are 10 small quizzes (weeks 3-7 and 10-14). You should review the previous unit materials to prepare. Any materials used in class may be included on the quizzes.
(2) Every unit (12) will include a homework assignment.
(3) There are two major tests. A midterm examination (week 8) and a final examination (week 15).
|履修上の注意事項||(1) This class emphasizes listening but includes a lot of speaking as well. Be prepared to speak often in this class. Failure to speak will result in a lower participation grade.
(2) Attendance and participation are different. If you are in the classroom, that is attendance. If you are active in the class, that is participation.
(3) Arrive to class on time. I collect homework shortly after the bell rings. Weekly quizzes will begin shortly after collecting homework.
【This subject is also designed for the 2014～ Global Course students. ※ただし、一部の学部・学科では配当されていない場合があります。】
|成績評価の方法・基準||(1) Grades are calculated as follows:
20% Quizzes (x10)
20% Homework (x12)
20% Final Exam
(2) Make-up quizzes will be made available only in instances where the student has contacted me prior to missing the class or provides evidence their absence was unavoidable.
(3) Late work will be accepted for reduced credit.
a. 1 week late = 50% credit
b. 2 weeks late = 25% credit
c. more than 2 weeks late = 0% credit
(4) In week 9 a midterm grade report will be provided so students know how they are doing.
|テキスト||Breakthrough Plus Level 1 Student's Book + Digibook Pack
|I am available after class and during the lunch hour on Thursdays. If you wish to meet with me please make the request in person before or after class. Please only email me in cases of extreme importance or emergency.|